The Gamebar is here


Last summer I've started to work with few friends at some cool arcade retrogaming projects, all based on Raspberry Pi and Retropie.

We started looking around for needed hardware: arcade controls, interface boards, and of course chassis options.

I was willing to come up with something different from a traditional upright cabinet, or from a more manageable bartop. I wanted real arcade controls, but at the same time full portability. A device that could be hooked at an external screen, like old consoles, but at the time time equipped  with an internal screen, speakers, and a rechargeable battery to power everything up. The Nintendo Switch was not yet announced, anyways it doesn't count since I envisioned portability for two players, but with real arcade controls.

I sketched up some concepts, and started to try few CAD modelling tools. I've found one that was extremely powerful, easy to use and at that time free for small projects: Onshape.

I've worked at this project in the free time for a while, adapting the design with the intent of manufacturing it with 3D printing and CNC cutting, blending and milling. I still have to come up with the first prototype, but I would like to start sharing the design:

The gamebar, front.png

This chassis is something different from traditional arcade cabinets, is like one of those dual player joystick - and indeed it can be used also for that purpose - but with a full computer inside, with logic boards, a screen, amplified speakers and a battery.

the-gamebar-back

I think that Gamebar is a proper name for it. I hope that it will become an appreciated alternative to bartops, in the retrogaming makers community.

I will come back with more details on the design process, and on the components selection, in future posts.

Today I'm happy to announce that the design is publicly available here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotting fake GBA cartridges

Ready to blog, again 😅...